GATE Preparation plan | Group study for GATE
Collect study material and standard books for preparing for GATE-2011. Prepare notes of basic concepts from the standard books. Write down formulas subject wise and topic wise. Practice the problems by understanding each concept and formula. Practice more and more problems to avoid mistakes. This helps in time management also.
As part of GATE preparation, concentrate on Basic Engineering subjects. ECE candidates should read Network theory and EDC; EEE candidates should study Network theory/Electrical Machines; CSE/IT students should read Discreet Maths, Digital Logic, Formal Languages; Mechanical Engineering students should read Engineering Mechanics, Thermodynamics; Civil engineering students should concentrate on Strength of Materials and Fluid Mechanics. Complete the preparation before 15th January, 2011. Then practice old question papers of GATE and IES, IAS previous papers.
Practicing self tests increases the self confidence and times management skills. Revise the notes prepared by you on the day before the exam. One important thing that should be observed in GATE preparation is that the two mark questions are a bit hard. Chances of securing a good rank is improved by answering linked questions and common data questions perfectly. Some topics in subjects are given repeatedly with little changes. Practicing well gives good results.
Group study for GATE
Combined studies with 2 or 3 students give good results. Basic concepts can be analyzed and problems can also be practiced well. But all the members of the group should have an interest and determination to secure a rank in GATE-2011.
Things to be observed for GATE
- Secure a national rank below 400 to get admission in IIT institutes and IISC institutes.
- 400 to 1000 ranks can get you a seat in NITs and University Colleges.
- Some branches have very few seats and a good rank guarantees a seat in these branches.
- Nearly one lakh candidates compete for CSE/IT in GATE-2010. 30,000 to 50,000 candidates compete for EEE, Mechanical and Civil branches.
- Video lessons of IIT, IISC professors are available in the NPTEL website.
- Candidates who joined B.Tech after diploma through lateral entry should allot more time to Mathematics and Aptitude subjects.
- Calculators are allowed for the GATE exam. Practice using the calculator during preparation.
- When compared to previous papers, GATE questions are not very tough but negative marks and some questions may cause tension in candidates.
- After the completion of the preparation, read at least two or more objective books.