Kondaveeti fort was built by Reddy kings is situated in Kondaveedu village in Guntur district of Andhra Pradesh
Kondaveedu was the capital of Reddy Kings. This fort is situated in the Kondaveedu village in Guntur district of Andhra Pradesh. This fort has historical importance. The construction of the fort has begun by the Orissa Kings in 13th century. Reddy Kings ruled this area from 1328 to 1428. The fort consists of two other forts along with the main fort. Historians believe that the main fort is built by Prolaya Vemareddy, the first Reddy King. Prolaya Vemareddy built many forts to strengthen the defenses of his kingdom. One of them is Kondaveeti fort. He shifted his capital to Kondaveedu from Addanki.
Kondaveeti fort is built at a height of nearly 1000 feet. There are 21 structures are identified in the fort. There are two main entrance gates. One of them is Kolepalli Darwaza and the other is Nadendla Darwaza. Main entrance is built with granite stones in three storeys. Water was supplied to the fort from 3 main ponds. They are Mutyalamma Cheruvu, Puttalamma cheruvu and Vedulla cheruvu. On the way to the fort at Kothapalem (called as Puttakota earlier) a security circle can be seen which was to protect the royal families and other buildings.
In 1458, Bahmani rulers occupied the fort. Vijayanagara Emperor Sri Krishnadevaraya captured the fort in 1516. Golconda Sultans fought for the fort in 1531, 1536 and 1579. Sultan Quli Qutb Shah captured it in 1579. The fort was then named Murtuzanagar. The fort was again captured by French rulers in 1752. It came under British rule in 1788. British rulers left this court in 1788. This fort is now in ruins. Government of Andhra Pradesh and other organizations are trying to protect the fort.