All the medical institutions have unique features. Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences is one with such a unique features. This was established in the year 1969 as Gandhi centenary project to fulfill the ideology of Mahatma Gandhi. In the year 1944 Mahatma Gandhi started an hospital on the name of his wife Kasthuribha. The specialty of this hospital is the only hospital which was started by the Father of nation called Mahatma Gandhi in India.
The students who joined in this institute to do his MBBS has to stay in Gandhi Ashram for the first fifteen days. In Gandhi Ashram they will be given the orientation training program on the ideology of Gandhi so that the students will sensitized to Gandhian ideology and implement it in their real life. During this time the students coming from different parts of India with different cultures is described as the Unity in Diversity.
There is even another condition to the students who want to do their post graduation is that they has to serve to the people in villages for an period of two years. The same condition is following many states in the country. Even the same policies are implemented country wide. The students of this institute are been appointed in many voluntary organizations for rendering the voluntary medical services.
Kasthubha Hospital which is one of the leading teaching hospital with around 770 beds. Almost 70% of patients coming to that hospital belong to the rural areas especially from Vidharbha and Andhra Pradesh. The hospital is having advanced technology which is offering the qualitative services to the patients besides best training to the students. There are well equipped intensive care units, emergency wards, operation theatres, surgical ICU and many more in this hospital. So that no delay is being done in saving the life of the people. There are around 10 operation theatres in the hospital and abundant supply of gas for the working of air conditioners. It even has Ayurveda and Naturopathy which are the Indian medical practices in this hospital.
Eligibility To do MBBS
- The candidate should be an Indian.
- The student should attain 17 years of age at the time of joining the course by 31st December
- The student has to pass his 10 + 2 or equivalent exam in a first attempt with Chemistry, Physics, Biology and English as optional subjects.
- The students who are trying admission in General category should pass their intermediate with min. 50% of pass in all the four subjects i.e. Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English.
- The students from reserved category should attain minimum 40% of marks in the above mentioned subjects to get admission in this college.
- Even the students who are appearing for their final year examination in the Month of March / April 2010 are also eligible to write the entrance exam.
- The centers for the entrance examination are in Hyderabad, Delhi, Nagpur and Mumbai.
- There are in total two papers in the entrance examination.
- The first paper contains 180 multiple choice questions in total from the subjects like Physics, Chemistry and Biology 60 from each subject. There is no negative marking for the wrong answers. The duration of the examination is 9.00 AM to 12.00 PM and the student had to prepare for the entrance exam in the subjects Physics, Chemistry under EAMCET level. And the subjects like Biology, Botany and Zoology are to be prepared from NCERT syllabus.
- The second paper consists of 60 questions from the Gandhian ideology and thoughts and duration of the examination is 3 hours where it starts from 2.00 PM to 5.00 PM which contains an Essay and short answer questions. The medium of questions is English. The students who got at least 24 marks in Gandhian thought paper are eligible to get the admission into MBBS from this institute. The admission process is in progress.
- The result of the entrance examination is released on the mid of June and details of merit list are placed in the institute web-site and national news papers. There is even a facility to get the results through SMS by giving the mobile number and the information regarding their certificates verification date will be informed through telegram and besides that the student also get detailed information related to the admissions immediately through post. The students who got admission in this institute has to join from 1st July, 2010. The estimated tuition fee for each semester will be around Rs. 9000/-.
Rules and Regulations for the students MGIMS
- The students had to lead normal life
- They had to wear Khaddar clothes.
- They must eat only Vegetarian food.
- Smoking and Drinking is strictly prohibited in the campus.
- The student had to attend without fail for the prayer and social activities as specified by the institution. Everyone has to stay in hostel only.