Special dishes for sankranthi festival | Procedure for making Andhra Chekkalu, rayalaseema burfi, Mysore poli, telangana sakinalu and Malabar payasam for this Sankranthi
Ingredients for Andhra chekkalu
Rice flour â€“ 2 cups
Water â€“ required amount
Chili paste â€“ teaspoon
Cumin seeds â€“ teaspoon.
Salt â€“required amount
Bengal gram dalÂ – one table spoon
Butter â€“ table spoon
Curry leaves â€“ few
Sago â€“ one table spoon
Oil â€“ required amount to fry
Process for Andhra Chekkalu
- Wash bengal gram dal and sago and soak them in water for two hours.
- Add required amount of salt in the rice flour and add chili paste, sago, Bengal gram dal, butter, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Add required amount of water and make it as dough.
- Now make small balls of dough and make them as Chekkalu by applying ghee. Keep a pan on the stove and pour oil in it to heat it. Fry the chekkalu in oil till brown color and store them in dry box.
Ingredients for rayalasema burfi
Sesame seeds â€“ 3 cups
Sugar â€“ 2 Â½ cups
Ground nuts â€“ one cup
Coconut powder â€“ Â½ cup
Almonds or cashew nuts â€“ for decoration
Procedure for rayalasema burfi
- Take a thick vessel and fry the sesame seeds in it till good smell comes out of them.
- After that fry ground nuts also and keep them aside.
- Now grind the ground nuts and seseme seeds separately in mixer.
- Take another thick vessel and pour water in it. Add sugar to it and make sugar syrup. Add the powder of ground nuts and sesame seeds. Mix it well to prevent the formation of lumps. At the end, add coconut powder and boil it till it leaves sides of the vessel.
- Apply ghee on one plate and pour this mixture on the plate. Cut them in diamond shape and paste a cashew nut or almond for decoration. Serve them after cooling.
Ingredients for mysore poli
Bengal gram â€“ Â¼ kilo
Sugar â€“ Â¼ kilo
Ghee â€“ Â½ cup
Coconut â€“ 1
Procedure for mysore poli
- Soak Bengal gram in water for one hour. After that boil it in the cooker and remove the excess water after boiling.
- Grate the coconut. Add the grated coconut to Bengal gram. Grind in mixer and keep it aside.
- Take a thick vessel with water and add sugar to it. Heat it till sugar syrup is formed.
- Now add the mixture of Bengal gram paste to the sugar syrup and mix it well till it becomes thick. Mixture should not stick to the vessel.
- Now make small balls of the mixture and roll them out as thin as possible. After that fry them in ghee.
Ingredients for Malabar payasam
Rice â€“ one cup
Thick coconut milk â€“ 4 cups
Jaggery â€“ one cup
Ghee â€“ table spoon
Elachi powder â€“ one teaspoon
Procedure for Malabar payasam
- Soak the rice in water for one hour and grind it.
- Take a thick vessel and pour two cups of coconut milk and two cups of water. Boil it and add grated jaggeryÂ to it.
- Now take the rice dough into a pressing machine and press it as small balls into coconut milk.
- Let them boil and after boiling, add the remaining coconut milk and elachi powder to it. At the end, add ghee to the payasam.
Ingredients for telangana sakinalu
Rice â€“ 4 cups
Carom seeds â€“ Â¼ cup
Sesame seeds â€“ Â½ cup
Salt â€“ required amount
Oil â€“ required amount to fry
Procedure for telangana sakinalu
- Wash the rice and soak it in water for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the water after three hours and dry the rice on thin cloth. After drying, grind it as flour.
- Fry sesame seeds for some time on low heat. Now add the fried seseme seeds, carom seeds and salt to rice flour. After add required amount of water and mix it as dough. Now take a plastic cover and make the dough in the form of concentric circles. Let the dough dry and they will be strong when they are dried for long time.
- Now place a pan on the stove and heat oil in it. Fry the dough which is in concentric circles in the oil. Now serve the sakinalu when hot. These can be stored for one month.